Giant’s Ridge 2008

Hometown races are a lot of fun, but also very stressful. Giant’s Ridge is as close as I ever get to home, and while it’s always a good time, I also put a lot of pressure on myself to do well. I ended up being at the track on Friday from about 10-8:30 testing set-ups and trying to make sure that everything would be running great and looking good. Saturday went off almost flawlessly. I had one of the best days of qualifying that I’ve ever had. My 800 was finally was running great, and my 600 was no slouch either. It was also a beautiful sunny day, and we had a big BBQ for the racers afterwards thanks to my mom and Brian Bauerly. That night my luck turned on me. I ended up getting sick around 9pm, which might not be a bad thing since it sent me home early to go to bed, but it wasn’t fun. I felt alright in the morning, but we were now in the middle of a blizzard. There was a foot of fresh snow on the ground, and I was glad I had some time to do some testing in the morning to see how it was going to effect my set-ups. I thought things were going good, practice went well, and I was looking forward to the finals, but then the mechanical troubles hit. The check engine light starting flashing at me on my 600, which usually means one of the sensors is bad and defaults the engine to “do no harm” mode, which meant my sled wasn’t going to be as fast as it usually is. Frustrating, but with how well my 800 was running, I was just focused on winning with that. I won the Jackson final, and took second in Pro open, but mechanical trouble struck again in Pro 900. I had rear suspension trouble which killed my 900 run, and put me on a borrowed sled for Pro 800 and King of the Hill. A special thanks to Alex Roufs for letting me borrow his 800. It’s a fast sled, but set-up very differently than mine and that kept me from performing how I should have. I ended up getting my 800 fixed in time for the big air contest (again thanks to Alex and Jim Roufs) and had a great time. The big air contest is something that was designed as a little extra show for the fans and TV cameras. All Semi-Pro and Pro drivers are given the chance to hit the feature jump of the track twice, and the drivers with the 3 longest jumps take home some extra money. My first round jump was great. I had a great line and it actually put me into the first spot (134 feet) by a comfortable margin. For the second round, my jump was almost identical, and some other guys found some good lines and ended up putting me into third, with the winning jump being 138 feet. It ended up being a bittersweet weekend with great results on Saturday, and some troubles on Sunday. Also a special thanks to Les Harkonen. He helps me out at some of the races with set-ups and mechanical help. He really keeps me on my toes, and my stuff always runs better when he’s around.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>